1894: G.H.P. Gould builds a paper mill on the banks of the Black River in Lyons Falls.
1920s: Hydro turbines provide power to run mechanical pulp grinders and other equipment at the paper mill.
1956: Lyons Falls Paper Company is formed.
1960s: The mechanical equipment is replaced with generators that are connected to the hydro turbines to produce electrical energy for the mill and, initially, for a portion of the Village of Lyons Falls.
2001: The Lyons Falls Pulp and Paper Mill closes.
2004: Northbrook Lyons Falls, LLC (“NBLF”) acquires the existing hydroelectric facility.
2008: The Lewis County Development Corporation (LCDC) starts working to redevelop the former paper mill, in partnership with the North Country Regional Economic Development Council (NCREDC), SUNY Environmental School of Forestry’s Center for Brownfield Studies, and NBLF.
2010: Paper mill buildings begin to collapse due to lack of maintenance and excessive snow loads.
2011: Black Moose Development, on behalf of Lewis County Development Corporation, takes ownership of the paper mill property.
July 2014: Kick-off of the first phase of the paper mill demolition and cleanup project.
November 2014: NBLF initiates the FERC license amendment process.
January 2015: NBLF issues the Initial Consultation Document and Draft License Amendment Application package to the stakeholders and the public for review.
March 2015: NBLF hosts a Joint Agency Public Meeting at the Lyons Falls fire house to describe the proposed new hydro project and receive comments from stakeholders.
September 2015 : NBLF received amendment to Water Quality Certificate.
March 2016 : FERC Order amending the license received by NBLF.